From Telling to Teaching By Joyce A Norris
My book arrived yesterday from Amazon and I am halfway through and excited to begin sharing what I have read with you.
Dr. Norris wants to move the instructor from just telling information to the learners to teaching by using a dialogue approach to adult learning. When we teach by telling students what they need to know we are ignoring the way adults learn best. Learners learn best by getting engaged with the new information, by talking about it and using the information.
A dialogue approach incorporates how adults learn best by combining the delivery of new information, with opportunities for the learners to do something with the information. Making personal meaning of new information is a central element of learning. Her book and my blog will take you through this journey.
The recipe I have chosen for our first blog is a perfect summer salad. Simple to make, delicious to taste.
Asparagus and Edamame Salad
1# Asparagus - blanched and shocked
1 1/2 cup shelled edamame cooked according to package directions
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped mint
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Blanch and shock asparagus and cut into 2 in. pieces
2. Combine Asparagus, edamame chopped mint, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese
I love it when a book captures you and you can't put it down!
ReplyDeleteIt is really interesting how we have been teaching "at" students for so many years, that it surprises the heck out of us when we hear that we should get feedback and try to change our teaching styles to include how students learn.
Thanks for sharing the recipes at the end of the blog... being a vegetarian I appreciate the veggie recipe!!
I think most of us know this, but as you mentioned we have been doing things a certain way for so many years that we think about how we should change, but do not always follow through on the ideas. I am glad you like the recipe, bet me know if you make it, as I think you will really enjoy it. This recipe is an example of from teaching to telling. It I just gave my students the recipe and told them it would be great most of them would not believe me. But after we made it they could not believe how good the ingredients blended together.
ReplyDeleteOoops I just said that last comment backwards. The recipe is an example of from telling to teaching. I sure you understood what I was explaining, but thought I should correct myself.
ReplyDelete